Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I've been a bingo caller for around 9 years now.

It's interesting and somewhat sad to attend these events.

The bingo evenings are held every second Monday in the Duval Town Hall.

My first impression was that this was a very serious group of people.

Each one hard at work, toiling at the task of tracking numbers and longing for the prize.

Now, being a creative man, I looked for ways to liven the somber dabbers.

Often I would call wrong numbers - well not merely wrong, but non-existent ones, like "Q99" - This quickly divided the participants into categories of confused or amused.

I have a dream of taking the bag of old bingo balls which have been replaced and during the course of a card (the term for dabbing away at the numbers on your card until someone bingos) setting them on my lap and releasing them part way through. I have not done this yet, for I fear with the age of some of the participants that a heart attack might occur.

Today I crossed a boundary however.

Immediately after intermission, after the first number had been called for that card, I thought, second guessed and then went for it.

I Yelled "Bingo!"

Everything stopped.

Heads turned.

And people started to laugh.

As they were all experienced players, they knew it was impossible to win with just one number.
and the absurdity found it's funny bone target.

It was a good night.

I'm awake at 2:3oam laughing aloud about it.

...hmm....when to dump those balls?

1 comment:

HannahJoy said...

Dear Jeff,
I love this post. Sometimes I come back just to read it again. Thank you for sharing it.
Hannah
p.s. And I am glad too, for your welcoming of visitors. When I visited Colleen at New School Arts in October, I definitely felt welcomed by both her and you. And in this I have been blessed. Thank you.