Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Slam, slam, slam slam, wonderful slam, glorious slam!

Tuesaday May 23, 2006

A night to remember,

Met my friend Laura for the first time
Took her around Regina
to a few art spots
and to see my pots
at Traditions
Hung out at the library
and then went to our first Poetry Slam
She convinced me to ante up the $2
and enter the contest.
entering late, instead of the
30 minutes maximum allowed,
I had 20

So... on an empty stomach
and a pint of Guinness
off I went scribbling away.
Nervous as a mouse in a trap shoot
I finished my work before the alotted
time was up and handed it in.
Then we waited for the fun to begin
Names were drawn out of a hat,
and the anticipation of where I would be placed
grew and grew, and grew with our guesses
until it was clear I was to go last
which was fantastic!

My dictionary page included many syn- words and a few T's
Here is the poem I came up with
(thanks for the answered prayer God)



Syn - the same, alike
(an ode to the brave poets in the slam)

Pen.
Slow to lift to paper

late entry in this,
this swot of syntax
this paper filled scribble of pen black
scribble
charge
attack
swing fingers and never
look back
You, You've got to
take delight in the wordsmiths
the synod of write
Bubble breathed battlers
Upper tounged rattlers
All welcome in this synagogue

Pour words like liquor
into the void

Tonight we all stand
before our God
hoping that the wieght of our words
will fall on sympathetic ears
Stand now up here
fighting down the fear
As upward fly
voice raised high
to the true Tabernacle
And I Zacheus
in his sycamore
long for a glimpse of God.



Made it to the finals
and ended up in the top five
with several people
coming by with compliments afterward
Was fantastic and a bit of a healing time too!

Thanks Laura for being a part of
one of the best evenings I've had in a very long time
and for pushing me to be a slammer

No comments: